Disclaimer: File My Visa is a private company, and we are not affiliated with any United States government-based agencies. We are not a law firm, we do NOT provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. We suggest for you to get yourself an independent, licensed immigration attorney. We are solely a private company providing self-help services at your direction with the information that you provide. File My Visa does not approves nor disapproves any documents for any government agencies. ***NOTE !! English language supersedes any translated language. PLEASE READ YOUR QUESTIONS CAREFULLY

Be a Practicing U.S. Citizen by Filing an Application for Certificate of Citizenship

0 mintues read

0 min

About Certificate of Citizenship

Certificate of Citizenship is an identity document issued by USCIS to be used by foreign-born U.S. citizens as direct proof of their right to Citizenship. In order to get a Certificate of Citizenship, citizens born outside the U.S. to a U.S. citizen parent or parents must file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship with USCIS.

It is important to note that Form N-600 doesn't grant Citizenship; rather, it acknowledges already obtained citizenship status by the applicant. To be more exact, getting a citizenship certificate is quite different from the naturalization process.

Citizenship Certificate is particularly useful for getting a U.S. passport or applying for immigration benefits on behalf of any relative.

Eligibility to Apply for Certificate of Citizenship’

USCIS classifies individuals eligible for the Certificate of Citizenship into two basic categories: Acquisition and Derivation.To be eligible for a Certificate of Citizenship, under Acquisition, a person must meet the following criteria.

A Certificate of Citizenship will be issued to a person under 'Derivation' only if he/she meets the following criteria.

  1. The Citizenship Certificate applicant must have been born outside the U.S
  2. The applicant must have at least one biological parent who is a U.S. citizen.
  3. U.S. citizen parent/parents must meet specific residence or physical presence requirements in the United States before the person's birth.
  4. The applicant obtained citizenship status automatically after he/she was born, but before turning 18
  5. The applicant must live in the United States under the legal custody of U.S. citizen parent/parents
  6. The applicant must be the biological offspring of their parent/parents
  7. The applicant must be a lawful permanent resident

Required Documents to Apply for Certificate of Citizenship

A citizenship certificate seeker must submit Form N-600 along with the following required documents:

  1. The petitioner's birth certificate
  2. U.S. parent's birth certificate
  3. Proof of parent's U.S. citizenship
  4. Two passport size photographs of the applicant
  5. Copy of parents' marriage certificate (and divorce papers if applicable)
  6. Legitimation document (if the applicant is born out of wedlock)
  7. Proof of legal custody (if the parents are divorced or separated)
  8. Permanent residency card
  9. Proof of the parent's physical residence in the United States
  10. Adoption decree (if applicable)

5 Easy Steps Toward U.S. Immigration

FileMyVisa VS Competitors
Grab the Best Deal at Cheapest Rate
100+ Languages Yes No No
Voiceover Support Yes No No
Fill First Pay Later Yes Yes No
Money Back Guarantee Yes Yes No
24/7 Customer Support Yes No No

Note that: The price mentioned above does not include the standard government fees paid directly to USCIS.

Frequently Asked Questions

File My Visa's processing fee for N-600 is only $138, and the USCIS filing fee for the N-600 is $1,170. (No hidden charge)

Attach a check or money order to your N-600 application with the appropriate fee. You can also pay the application fee via credit card using form G-1450.

No, copies of all documentation are sufficient for this filing process.

If you are unable to file a required document, you have to attach a valid written explanation of the reason(s) why the particular required document is not there and submit-secondary evidence to be eligible for the certificate.

File Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document as soon as you find your certificate lost or destroyed.

To complete the form, you must answer all the questions accurately. If a question is not applicable to your situation, write: N/A. If the answer is none write None.

Yes. If you're unable to bear the filing fee, you're likely to be eligible for a fee waiver. File Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, with N-600

Free Consultation Hour is Available
Mon-Fri from 10am to 6pm
Time in Florida,
Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) - UTC−04:00

No More Green Card Renewal, be a U.S. Citizen Today

Start Now

Nonimmigrant? You’re Halfway There to be a Permanent Resident

Start Now

No More Green Card Renewal, be a U.S. Citizen Today

Start Now