Disclaimer: File My Visa is a private company, and we are not affiliated with any United States government-based agencies. We are not a law firm, we do NOT provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. We suggest for you to get yourself an independent, licensed immigration attorney. We are solely a private company providing self-help services at your direction with the information that you provide. File My Visa does not approves nor disapproves any documents for any government agencies. ***NOTE !! English language supersedes any translated language. PLEASE READ YOUR QUESTIONS CAREFULLY

You Can’t Buy Happiness but Can Sponsor Your Spouse

0 mintues read

0 min

About Family-Based Green Card Application

Form I-130, officially known as ’Petition for Alien Relative,’ is the first and foremost consideration before applying for a Family-Based Green Card. According to USCIS, any 21 years or older U.S. citizen can file a petition as a sponsor for his/her non-resident parents, unmarried children, legal spouse and siblings through I-130. It aims to establish a legitimate relationship between a U.S. citizen and qualifying alien relatives or family members who wish to permanently live in the United States.

Unlike U.S Citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) are not eligible to apply for a green card for spouse. In addition, if the green card candidate is present in the United States, the petitioner needs to file I-485 instead of I-130.

Eligibility to Apply for Spousal Green Card

The eligibility requirements to help the alien spouse get a green card are pretty simple. Here’s a comprehensive eligibility checklist to give you a solid understanding.

  1. The marriage must be legal and officially recognized by the government of the country where the marriage took place. Must show supporting documents that legitimize marriage status.
  2. The green card seeker must be married to a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).
  3. Neither the petitioner nor the applicant is married to anyone else. If any of them have been married in the past, he/she must provide a decree of divorce, death certificate, or any other document that proves the previous marriage has ended.

Still confused? Check your eligibility in less than a minute.

Required Documents to Apply for Green Card

Since the petitioner needs to prove that the family relationship between him/her and the beneficiary is genuine, the petitioner must submit several supporting documents that back the stated relationship status.

Generally, the required documents include:

  1. Passport size photos of both petitioner and candidate
  2. Petitioners’ passport or birth certificate and naturalization certificate
  3. Beneficiary’s passport and national identity card or document
  4. Proof of the legally valid relationship (marriage certificate, birth certificate, parental divorce, adoption etc)
  5. Other forms and Secondary evidence documents

Check Your Eligibility

6 Easy Steps Toward U.S. Immigration

FileMyVisa VS Competitors
Grab the Best Deal at Cheapest Rate
100+ Languages Yes No No
Voiceover Support Yes No No
Fill First Pay Later Yes Yes No
Money Back Guarantee Yes Yes No
24/7 Customer Support Yes No No

Note that: The price mentioned above does not include the standard government fees paid directly to USCIS.

Frequently Asked Questions

Anyone who obtained LPR status or U.S. citizenship through adoption or as a special immigrant juvenile and aged below 21, regardless of his/her immigration status, is not eligible to file Form I-130.

After filing Form-130, USCIS will notify you whether it is denied or approved. If it is approved and your spouse live outside the U.S., the State Department will give them an appointment to go to the U.S. consulate in their country and complete the processing.

If you don’t have a regular income, you need a co-sponsor or have enough assets to meet the affidavit of support requirements.

The total wait time for a spousal green card ranges between 9 to 36 months, depending on whether you are married to a citizen or LPR and where you currently live.

Yes. Green card holders can collect unemployment compensation benefits the same way U.S citizens do.

A green card application may be denied for several reasons. These reasons include but are not limited to
1. Mistakes on the application forms
2. False or incorrect information
3. Missing documents
4. Failure to demonstrate eligibility due to insufficient financial resources, etc

Free Consultation Hour is Available
Mon-Fri from 10am to 6pm
Time in Florida,
Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) - UTC−04:00

No More Green Card Renewal, be a U.S. Citizen Today

Start Now

Confidently File Your Application, Overcome Fear of Persecution.

Start Now

Nonimmigrant? You’re Halfway There to be a Permanent Resident

Start Now